Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Animated Man:




I'm currently reading this book.

So far I find it fascinating. Since I was a kid I have been extremely fond of Walt Disney. The world he created has always had a profound effect on me. The cartoons, films, shorts, documentaries by (and about) him, as well as visits to his theme parks have not only inspired me, but have helped spark my imagination since I was small.

So, I wanted to learn a little more about the man.

Apparently, the author of this book (Neal Gabler) is the only biographer on Disney that has had access to the Disney archives. So I assume that the history is pretty accurate. Although I have heard that Disney's daughter is pretty angry about Gabler's portrayal of Walt Disney. But not only her, animation historian, Michael Barrier is pretty upset about it, as well. You can read more about that here.

Anyway, it is interesting to read about Disney being within 2 miles of where I live now as a kid in the early 1900's, selling newspapers and helping his father build add-ons to their house.

So, I guess I plan on reading this book and taking it with a grain of salt. Hopefully it will teach me a little more about the man, and inspire me like he so often does.

No comments: