Wednesday, January 30, 2008



According to a blog posting on the Hall Of Justice website, Chris Walla claims that Death Cab For Cutie's new album is "in full swing."

The posting went on to say "thus far it's pretty weird and pretty spectacular; lots of blood. It's creepy and heavy... we've got a ten minute long Can jam, and had you suggested that possibility to me in 1998, I'd have eaten your puppy's brain with a spoon."

It is planned to be released in May 2008. Ben Gibbard, lead singer and guitarist, claims that "I just don't feel like we really have anything to prove of it other than to ourselves and to making a record we really enjoy."

In a recent Billboard piece, the band is promising a "curve ball" and though it will have a number of slower songs, the band is promising some surprises: "It's really weird. It's really, really good, I think, but it's totally a curve ball, and I think it's gonna be a really polarizing record. But I'm really excited about it. It's really got some teeth. The landscape of the thing is way, way more lunar than the urban meadow sort of thing that has been happening for the last couple of records." "[It's also] louder and more dissonant and ... I think abrasive would be a good word to use. [We were influenced by] heavy, sludgy, slow metal [and] synth-punk band Brainiac." In January of 2008, Spin Magazine reported that Death Cab For Cutie's new album will be titled, Narrow Stairs.


On a related note: I picked up Chris Walla's record last night (along with a radass Arcade Fire LP and the brand new Vampire Weekend record). It's called "Field Manual" and it RULES. I really enjoy it. You should definitely pick up a copy!

_____________________________

Two and a half more weeks!

No comments: