Saturday, January 17, 2009

My Dream

My dream from last night:

In the dream I watched the story unfold about a widower who took in an orphan boy after years of living alone.
When his wife died he became bitter, sad and lonely.

... All of this was understood to me in my dream without it being explained to me...

He took in this boy and had spent a lot of time with him and, in my dream, he was putting the little boy to sleep one night.

This is the conversation I saw take place...

"Goodnight, boy," said the old man.
"I love you," said the boy.
"Ok. Get some rest now."
"I love you!" This time he said it louder.
"Shhh. It's late. You need some sleep."
"Don't you love me?" The boy had tears in his eyes.
"There's no such thing as love, boy."
"Yes there is! I love you!" He was crying.
"No. What you feel for me... What we feel for each other... is the recognition that if one of us were to leave, we would be less without them," the old man said and sat down on the bed beside the boy.
"Isn't that love?"
"No."
"What is it then?"
"Look... if we lived in the forest and we needed to gather food and firewood every day to survive, and you were to leave me, I would be sad because making a living was easier with you."
"So you think Jesus died for a different reason."
"Ha. I guess I do, yes."
"No!"
"Don't get angry, boy!"
"Love is all that matters!" The boy yelled, crying hard.
The old man got up from the bed and crossed the room. The boy was still sobbing.
"Goodnight, boy."
He turned and switched the light off, walked into the hall and closed the door behind him.


And then I woke up.

Usually, my dreams don't make that much sense when I'm awake... 
and I am usually in my dreams, too.  
But this was different.

What are your thoughts?  Does it mean something?  If so, what?

No comments: